My Korean friends told me I had to do this meal as it’s a classic and one of the most popular street food you can get.
This is the royal variety which is sweet/savoury but there is also a spicy variant.
I really fell in love with this meal and hope you will enjoy it too,
- 300g rice cake ( Korean type preferable)
- 150g warm water
- 2-3 sliced mushrooms ( shiitake works better )
- 1/2 onion or 1 shallot minced
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 1tsp rice wine vinegar or mirin
- dash sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Vegetable of your choice thinly sliced: zucchini, carrot, bell pepper etc
- (Optional) sliced green onion for garnish
- In a bowl, prepare the sauce by combining the soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, sesame seeds & oil and garlic, reserve. PS: the smell of the sauce will paint your entire kitchen, it smells so good !!!
- In another bowl, put the rice cake and cover it with warm(not hot) water. Let it soak 20-30 minutes then drain.
- Heat a pan at medium-high heat, put some oil and add the rice cake. Stir so they dont stick, cover for 6 minutes. Add the onion and cook for a minute. Dump the sauce, the mushrooms and whichever vegetable you selected. Stir and cook for 2-3minutes
- Serve and garnish with additional sesame seeds and/or green onions.