The very basic guacamole is just avocado, lime juice and salt. It definitely lacks flavor . In my book, garlic is a must in this recipe and really brings it to the next level. You can really play with this recipe and customize it to your taste, I know I have come across some with cumin and I’m not a fan of it, but to each their own.
Fun fact: Did you know avocadoes are a fruit and not a veggie? You did? Ok ok, did you know they were classified as a berry? 😉
As per Wikipedia : The fruit of the plant, also called an avocado (or avocado pear or alligator pear), is botanically a large berry containing a single large seed.
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced seeded
- 1/2 juice of a freshly squeezed lime ( if it’s not super juicy use the full lime)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/2 small white onion, finely diced
- 1-2tbsp freshly chopped cilantro ( to taste)
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- (optional) 1 diced tomato
- In a mixing bowl, mash 2 avocados and lime juice using a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the onion,cilantro,garlic,pepper & Salt. Stir
- If you opted for tomatoes ( my kids don’t eat tomatoes so I don’t), add them in.
- Adjust salt and lime level to your taste.
It is best served on the same day but if you cover it with plastic film you can keep it for 2 days in the fridge.