After making the key lime pie I had a few extra limes laying around so let’s make a treat for the kids.
These are usually made with lemons but lime works well. I prefer with lime but I will leave that choice to you.
- 1 pate sablée ( classic) or use pate sucrée ( what I use)
- 1 lime zest
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 40g flour
- Follow directions to make your pate ( see above). My tray is 8×8 and making half the pate sucrée gave me even a bit of leftover. If your tray is bigger you may want to do the full dough recipe.
- Lay parchment paper in your baking pan. Put the dough in your pan and press it down with your hands. Just make sure it’s not too thick ( you want 1/8″ to 1/16″ )
- Bake it in the oven for 22 minutes at 350F
- While you wait, in a stand mixer bowl combine the eggs with the sugar. Once mixed att the flour, zest, lime juice and baking powder. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Spread the mix on the crust and return it to the oven to bake for another 20 minutes or so. After 20 minutes give it a little tap to check if the center is set. If not put it back a few more minutes and check again.
- Place on a wire rack and let cool for an hour. Before you cut it off, place it in the fridge for an hour ( ideally 2 ) so it’s entirely cooled off else it will crumble.
- Cut into pieces, dust with icing sugar & enjoy
Tip: for sharp cuts, wet a paper towel and run it on your knife between each cut