Another classic & easy to make is the cream of broccoli. It’s a great soup to warm you up for those cold winter days.
This is the most basic version of it but feel free to play with it. Add some grated ginger along with a splash of lemon and you are set in a different direction! You could also add some green vegetables like celery or leeks to give some extra complexity to the soup.
- 5 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2cups vegetable broth
- 50g butter
- 1/2 to 1 cup 35% cream ( or milk)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 28g butter room temperature
- 2tbsp flour
*If you are using cream you shouldn’t need to thicken it.
- First, prepare the beurre manié by combining the butter and flour using a fork in a mixing bowl. Reserve
- Heat a pot over medium heat, melt the butter and toss the onion in and cook for about 2 minutes( you don’t want to colour them). Stir occasionally
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for 30 seconds
- Toss the broccoli in plus the broth, cover and cook for about 8 minutes
- Remove from heat. Using a hand mixer blend the soup.
- Put the pot back to low-medium heat and slowly stir in 1/2 cup of cream ( or milk). Give a taste test, add more cream if needed, I usually stick to 1/2 cup.
- If the soup is not thick enough for your taste, add about half the beurre manié and stir. Repeat if needed
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper