This Thai soup (Tom yum) recipe was passed down by a chef I took classes with. It’s straightforward, easy to make and will be sure to warm you up during the cold month.
You need :
- 1/2cup fresh coriander
- 2-3 mushrooms chopped (shiitake work really well )4cup water
- 10-15 uncooked with shell shrimps
- 1-3 hot peppers ( depends on how hot you want it)
- 2 lemongrass stick
- 1tbsp fish sauce ( if you don’t have that you can mix 50/50 rice vinegar and soy sauce)
- 2-3tbsp lime juice
- zest from 1 lime
- Over high heat, put the water in a pot, bring to a boil. and add the salt and shells from the shrimp. Reduce to a simmer and let it cook for 15minutes. Strain the mix and put it back in the pot. Bring it back to a boil and add the peppers, mushrooms, lemongrass, zest, fish sauce, and shrimps. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Add half the lime juice, do a taste test, adjust with either more lime juice or more fish sauce depending on how you like it.
- Remove lemongrass sticks and serve. At this point, you can add the coriander to your bowl to decorate